It’s been a serious week here on the blog. Tuesday’s post, about the friendships between moms and non-moms, became the most commented post ever (73 and counting). Posts about mommy wars, friend breakups, and schadenfraude have given the week a solemn tone. (Though did anyone watch the Avenue Q song “Schadenfreude“? Love it.)
So imagine my joy while watching a rerun of The Big Bang Theory last night when Sheldon referenced the friendship rider in their roommate agreement. A little levity is just what this blog needs!
Sheldon and Leonard often use their “roommate agreement” to settle disagreements. The agreement apparently has a friendship rider, and here it is:
Appendix C – Future commitments
- No.37 “In the event one friend is ever invited to visit the Large Hadron Collider, now under construction in Switzerland, he shall invite the other friend to accompany him.“
It is further specified what happens, if:
- one friend gets super powers (he will name the other one as his sidekick)
- one friend is bitten by a Zombie (the other can’t kill him even if he turned)
- one friend wins a MacArthur grant
- one friend gets invited to go swimming at Bill Gates’s house (he will take the other friend to accompany him)
- Sheldon asks at least once a day how Leonard is even if he doesn’t care
- Sheldon no longer stages spontaneous biohazard drills after 10 p.m.
- Sheldon abandons his goal to master Tuvan throat singing
This is silly and almost indecipherable at times (Tuvan throat singing?) but, personally, I enjoy the provision regarding Bill Gates’s pool. The episode is worth watching. It reminds me of Mindy Kaling’s BFF Bill of Rights or the Real Housewives of Atlanta Friendship Contract.
I’m trying to think what would be in the contract if Callie and I made one. Provision #1: If possible, we will always watch the Scripps National Spelling Bee together. If impossible, we will text throughout regarding all hilarious, awkward, or hilariously awkward moments.
What would be in your Friendship Rider?
I’m SO EXCITED to report that MWF Seeking BFF made the upcoming New York Times extended bestsellers list at #31 in Paperback Nonfiction! Thank you all so much for your support and for helping it get there. I’m on cloud nine! I’d be so thrilled if you might continue doing what you’re doing and keep spreading the word. THANK YOU!