This weekend marks the end of summer for all practical purposes (don’t hate me for stating the facts). School’s back in session, the public pools are closing down, and the long sleeves are coming out.
But there’s nothing to cry about. In case Sunday night’s Emmys weren’t uplifting reminder enough, let me draw your attention to one very exciting fact: Fall TV is upon us! All hail the return of new shows.
I celebrated summer reading with my wannabe literary BFFs. Today, TV is getting the same treatment. Here, the folks I’d stitch friendship bracelets for anyday.
1) Cameron Tucker, Modern Family. In his own words. “I’m sort of like Costco. I’m big, I’m not fancy, and I dare you not to like me.”
2) Clarissa Darling, Clarissa Explains It All. Not only did I want to be friends with her, I wanted to to be her. A teenage journalist with wacky outfits and a BFF who climbed through the window? Yes please.
3) Alistair, Huge. My heart breaks for the kind, misunderstood, and understatedly clever underdog in the ABC Family drama. He’s been the butt of much harassment this season, but he totally won my adoration.
4) Ashleigh Howard, Greek. Another ABC Family favorite. Ashleigh is a fashion-forward BFF (I’m noticing a pattern: Ashleigh, Clarissa, Six. Throw in Lisa Turtle for good measure. She has always been my fave) and the surprising voice of reason to Casey’s drama queen.
5) Tami Taylor, Friday Night Lights. She’s brilliant and gorgeous, level-headed and playful, stern and supportive. We see her as a wife, mother and principal, but rarely in the role of friend. I’m quite confident she’d do just fine.
6) Ethel Mertz, I Love Lucy. She basically invented the onscreen BFF. She’s always up for a bit of trouble-making, but not so much to land you in the slammer. She’d be the pal I’d recruit on my let’s-go-on-an-adventure days.
7) Seth Cohen, The O.C. Yes, I was very much on the whole Chrismukkah bandwagon. I’m a Jew who celebrated Christmas, I could relate. (Was raised Jewish but Dad converted so we celebrated with his family. Neither here nor there…)
8 ) Cristina Yang, Grey’s Anatomy Meredith’s a bit tortured for my liking, but Cristina has that great sarcasm. She’s the one who says aloud the bits that I would censor (and my self-censor is subpar as is). And underneath all her overachieving crazy there is a really quality friend.
9) Robin Scherbatsky, How I Met Your Mother If I have to pick just one of the McClaren’s gang, I guess it’d be Robin. She’s just so normal. Except for the whole Robin Sparkles thing. Which is GENIUS. (I’d rather just be adopted by the whole group please. NPH I love you.)
I know I missed some here… because either I never watched their shows (Rory Gilmore, Veronica Mars) or because I love the show but think the individuals are just annoying (Topanga, Kimmie Gibbler). Tell me—what TV character would you grant BFF status?